Hanmer Springs - Waikiri: Blow ye winds southerly...

Sunday November 14, 2010, 65 km (41 miles) - Total so far: 1,142 km (710 miles)

Time: 3:44 Distance: 65.25 km Average: 17.4 kph Max: 46.6 kph Altitude Gain: 209 m

Thanks to some noisy guests at my Hanmer Springs backpacker, I was up and away fairly early, but only as far as the local café for breakfast, where the owner, a cyclist, wanted to chat.

While I was there a strong blustery wind began to blow, fortunately from the north west, but the forecast predicted a southerly change late in the morning.

With the wind at my back and mostly downhill running I made excellent time toward Christchurch, stopping for coffee and cake at Culverden, and even speculated about reaching the city today, but as predicted the southerly change arrived around midday bringing rain and cold blustery headwinds.

Since I had no need to hurry, I sought shelter at a motel in Waikari, leaving only 70 kilometres to do tomorrow, which is forecast to be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment