A shaky start to a tour of the Shaky Isles: The day the earth moved...

Yesterday I was in a hiking gear shop and mentioned to the salesperson that I would be touring New Zealand next month. He asked me if I was going to Christchurch, and mentioned that he'd heard a sketchy news report about a storm or something...

Later, I caught the evening news and was dismayed to discover that there had been a massive earthquake (7.1 magnitude) at the city. The epicentre was near Darfield, a tiny hamlet right on my touring route. There has been widespread damage but fortunately few serious injuries. The city is in lockdown and with many services disrupted. See NZ news reports here.

This news really rams home the reason why NZ is known as the "Shaky Isles". Whilst there are no thoughts at all to cancel my tour, I might have to revise my itinerary. I had planned on spending a couple of nights both inbound and outbound but will have to wait and see what accommodation options remain operational.

Meanwhile, I extend my sympathies and best wishes to the people of Christchurch.

Update: I emailed my planned accommodation in Christchurch on the weekend and received a prompt reply advising the venue is fully operational. This is great news and means I won't have to change my itinerary, so I made booking right away.

Update: Yesterday there was another magnitude 5 earthquake in Christchurch - I may be in for a bit of rock'n'roll...

Update: And another magnitude 5 earthquake today - fasten your seat belts...

No comments:

Post a Comment